Schoolboys/girls Football Association of Ireland (SFAI) is committed to protecting and securing all of the Leagues, Clubs, and Players/Personal information held by the association in accordance with our remit.
This Privacy Statement is designed to ensure you are aware of the information we process about you, why we process that information, with whom we share it and the rights you have in relation to the information we use.
We will only use your personal information for the purposes for which it was provided. If we need to use your personal data for alternative purposes, we will notify you and explain our legal basis for doing so prior to processing.
Who we are?
The Schoolboys/girls Football Association of Ireland is the governing body for under-age, up to and including the 16s age group, football in the Republic of Ireland and is affiliated to our parent body – the Football Association of Ireland. The SFAI, the governing body of Schoolboys/girls Football in Ireland, caters for 130,000 plus players from more than 1,000 clubs through its 37 affiliated Leagues around Ireland. The SFAI is a data controller under the data protection laws.
Purpose of Data Collection and Processing
As a governing body we are focused to serve the Leagues and Clubs affiliated to us in advancing the participation of sport and the management of national competitions for players and clubs and we collect and process data for purposes including:
- To meet the Objectives and Rules of SFAI
- To register you as a League/Clubs
- To contact you about competitions and rules changes.
- To approve participation in football competitions in other judications.
- To hear complaints and appeals submitted by Leagues or Clubs.
- To comply with our legal obligations
- For statistical and audit purposes
We collect personal data directly from the Clubs or Leagues in the course of our legitimate organisational activities.
Legal basis for processing your data and the personal data we collect from you
We rely on various legal bases for processing your personal data which include:
- Performance of our Rule Book:
- Name, contact details, position within Leagues/Clubs
- Fee payments and financial transactions
- Compliance with our legal obligations
- To hold elections/voting rights in relation to AGM/EGM that may be required.
- Records required for Financial Reporting.
- To comply with the GDPR and Data Protection Act 2018.
- In our legitimate interest
- To facilitate your attendance at conferences and meetings
- To provide access to courses.
- To communicate with you on matters relating to National Competitions including other club secretaries contact details within the competitions.
- To respond to Leagues/Clubs complaints
- In response to general correspondence in both hard and soft copy.
- To engage with you on social media and manage our social media activity
- To carry out statistical analysis of player participation within the Association.
- Where you provide consent
- Photos, video and sound bites used in campaigns
- To communicate with other organisations
How we share your personal data
We are committed to protecting and securing your data and we aim to ensure that all third-party providers are compliant with legislation and do not use your data for their own purposes unless they are controllers in their own right.
We share your personal data from time to time with trusted third-party providers where required for business, legal and regulatory purposes.
With your consent we share your personal data from time to time with professional and legal bodies in the interest of representing you.
Retention and deletion
We will only retain your personal data for as long as necessary to fulfil the purpose(s) for which it was collected, taking into account all legal and contractual obligations. Where possible we will identify the duration for retention and, where this is not possible, we will explain the criteria for determining retention periods.
Once the retention period has concluded we shall safely and securely delete or destroy all personal data.
How do we secure your data?
Taking into account the state of the art, the costs of implementation and the nature, scope, context and purposes of processing as well as the risk of varying likelihood and severity for the rights and freedoms of natural persons, we implement appropriate technical and organisational measures to ensure a level of security appropriate to the risk.
Technical and organisational measures to ensure the security of personal data are driven by a suite of policies including;
- Data Breach Policy
- Email Usage Policy Encryption Policy
- Retention Policy
- Subject Access Request Policy
You have the following rights and entitlements with regard to your personal data held by us:
- To enquire if we hold personal data on you and to access copies of that data
- To request rectification of personal data we hold on you
- To request erasure of processing of your personal data
- To request restriction of processing of your personal data
- To withdraw consent at any time free of charge where we process your personal data based solely on your consent
- The right to object to processing of personal data where we are relying on legitimate interests as the legal basis for processing the personal data
- To have a copy of your personal data or facilitate transfer of your personal data to another data controller, where it is possible to do so
- To lodge a complaint in respect of processing of your personal data with the Data Protection Commissioners Office www.dataprotection.ie
If you wish to exercise any of your rights in relation to your personal data processed by us, please make a request to the
Data Protection Officer, SFAI, National Sports Campus, Abbotstown, Dublin 15, Ireland
Requests to exercise any of your rights will be free of charge where they are reasonable and not excessive. We reserve the right to request clarity in relation to determining the data under request, including to request proof of identity and signed authorisation in the case of third-party requests. Furthermore, we reserve the right to refuse to comply where legal obligations restrict us from doing so and where requests are unreasonable or excessive.
Failure to provide personal data
We rely on you to ensure the data we hold is accurate and up to date by communicating to us any changes to your personal information. Such updates can be made by contacting SFAI Admin, National Sports Campus, Abbotstown, Dublin 15, Ireland.
Updates and further processing
We will make changes to this notice from time to time. Any such changes can be viewed on our website at www.sfai.ie/
You can contact us with queries in relation to this policy or for any other reason at SFAI Admin, National Sports Campus, Abbotstown, Dublin 15, Ireland.