Kyle Robinson’s late goal in extra-time saw the DDSL U16’s into the SFAI Subway Championship Final on Saturday when they beat Inishowen 2-1 in Abbotstown.

Having made the long trip south, the boys from Inishowen put on a superb display, pressing their opponents and forcing the game, but when on top in the latter stages they struggled to create a real goalscoring chance.

DDSL edit v Inishowen U16 semi final 10022018

The win for the DDSL will see them take on Cork in the SFAI Subway Championship Final, with that tie to be played on the weekend of February 24th/25th.

Saturday’s game began with the visitors on the attack, and Damien Duffy was the liveliest, sending in a teasing cross which caused havoc in the home defence.

Jamie Whelan and Adam Bennett were given the task of running the DDSL’s engine room, and both soon found their tempo, with Whelan testing Ben Miller in the Inishowen goal for the first time after 12 minutes.

Billy Hendley forced Miller into another smart save shortly after that before Adam McCarron had the best chance for the visitors.

From a corner-kick he found himself unmarked in the box, but his header was aimed straight at Nathan Fields.

Then came the opening goal. From yet another corner-kick, Conor Gilbert’s initial shot was blocked, with the loose ball falling to Dean O’Shea who forced it over the line.

It was tough on the visitors, who had seen the best of the play up until then, but they did not let it dampen their spirits even though the DDSL had their best spell after that.

O’Shea and Darragh Curtin linked up well on the left, and both were involved when the ball was whipped into the box where James McMahon-Carr steered it goalwards, only for Miller to save.

Adam Bennett then tested his range, before McMahon-Carr again came close when he lunged at Whelan’s cross from the right.

That period of pressure was brought to a close with half-time, and in the second period Inishowen continued to press.

Shay McLoughlin and Eoin McLoughlin led the charge, while Ben Curley maintained their midfield, and when Oisin Doherty slid through the ball to Chris Diver, he was unlucky not to get a clean shot on goal.

The equaliser was a fine goal, and one Damien Duffy will not forget. Adam McCarron was fouled on the edge of the area after a strong run, and Duffy stepped up to send a low free-kick towards goal, with Fields only able to parry into the net.

That strike sent the tie into extra-time, and Inishowen had two good chances to steal the win, but they were left reeling when Robinson popped up at the back post to smash in Zach Furey’s volleyed cross.

Our Sponsors

SFAI website sponsor logos

Where We Are

Photo Selection