Cork’s U15 side booked their place in the SFAI Subway Championship national semi-finals on Sunday when they bounced back from going a goal down against Limerick District in the Munster Final to eventually run out 3-1 winners.

It is not the first time this season this Cork team have come from a goal down to seal victory, and they will now face either the DDSL or Carlow in the national semis.

CORK v Limerick District U15 Munster SFAI Subway Championship Final 21012018

District had taken the lead in the second half through Conor Keane when he finished well with his left foot, but that goal seemed to ignite Cork, and they hit back thanks to Cian O’Flaherty, Leon Hennessy and Ian Drinan.

The game started with both teams tentatively finding their way, and the opening half was one of few chances as the two teams battled for the upper-hand.

JP Linehan had the first attempt on goal for Cork, sending a free-kick over the crossbar, while Darragh Shine was unlucky not to get a shot away when he raced through on goal for Waterford.

Ben O’Leary was quick off his line that time, and he had to be alert again when Keane showed his pace to break free of his marker.

Sean Ngueawane was lively for Waterford on the right in the first half, while Linehan and Lee Obi-Kelly showed some a good understanding up front for Cork.

The best chance of the opening half fell to Waterford when Keane’s corner-kick was met by a looping shot from Eoghan Burke, but Ben O’Leary managed to gather to ball after jostling for position in the box.

LIMERICK DISTRICT v Cork U15 Munster SFAI Subway Championship Final 21012018.jpg

The second half saw more open play, and Keane came close to opening the scoring when he lifted the ball over the onrushing O’Leary, but Ian Drinan raced back to clear the ball.

That was a warning to Cork, and Keane did not miss the next time he had a sight of the goal – racing on to Conor Arthur’s pass before firing past O’Leary.

Brandon Idah had been introduced just before that for the eventual winners, and he played an integral part in the Cork comeback.

Lee Obi-Kelly was another who gave Cork a spark from the right, and both players were involved in a move that ended with O’Flaherty firing home from close-range.

Obi-Kelly and Idah again combined from the right to engineer the second goal, with the former breaking from deep and the latter picking out Hennessy who finished superbly.

Ian Drinan then made it 3-1 when his long clearance got caught by the wind and left James Killian flat-footed in the Limerick District goal.

Limerick District: J Killian, R O’Dwyer, J Shinners, E Guilfoyle, E Burke, C Arthur, S Ngueawane, D Diuhu, D Shine, C Keane, V Oyedji, L Ward, J Ryan, H Koohestani, C Lynch, J O’Connor.

Cork SL: B O’Leary, G Elue, A McCarthy, J Hayes, I Drinan, C Hanley, L Obi-Kelly, R McCarthy, Jp Linehan, E Nolan, L Hennessy, C O’Flaherty, L McCarthy, J Dawson, B Idah, C Dungan, P Harding.

Our Sponsors

SFAI website sponsor logos

Where We Are

Photo Selection